Another week, another roundup of your questions. This week listeners asked: will reaching light speed destroy the Universe? When is Andromeda going to look really, really cool with the unaided eye? Why didn’t dark matter all turn into black holes? And there’s even more. If you’ve got a question for the Astronomy Cast team, please email it in to email@example.com and we’ll try to tackle it for a future show.
Will traveling at light speed destroy the Universe?
- Is faster the light travel possible?
- Check out Episode 31 of Astronomy Cast, which discusses warp speed (among other things)
- Does gravity travel at the speed of light?
- BAUT forum discussion of infinite gravity
- Warp Drive and Cloaking Devices: Not Just Science Fiction Anymore? –from Universe Today
Will Andromeda be ever be easily visible (and look really cool!) in our night sky?
- All about Andromeda- from SEDS
- When Galaxies Collide — from Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
- Paper on The Collision Between the Milky Way and Andromeda
Will proton beams in the LHC be going twice the speed of light?
- Large Hadron Collider info
- All about Einstein’s theory of relativity — from the University of New South Wales
Does dark matter collapse into black holes?
- Why doesn’t dark matter fall into a black hole? — from Cornell University
- Greedy Supermassive Black Holes Dislike Dark Matter –from Universe Today
- How Dark Matter Might Have Snuffed Out the First Stars — from Universe Today
- Could the First Stars Have Been Powered by Dark Matter? — from Universe Today
Are black holes spinning?
- Black Holes Seen Spinning at the Limits Predicted by Einstein — from Universe Today
- Supermassive Black Holes Spin at the Limits of Relativity — from Universe Today
- Iron Can Help Determine if a Black Hole is Spinning — from Universe Today
Is it possible the Big Bang wasn’t the beginning of the Universe?
- Physicist Neil Turok: Big Bang Wasn’t the Beginning — from Wired
- Thinking About Time Before the Big Bang — from Universe Today
- Before the Big Bang — from Universe Today
- What Was Before the Big Bang? — from Universe Today
- And it Came From the CMB — from Star Stryder
- The Improbable Universe — from Star Stryder
- The Universe In One Year — from Discovery Channel
Transcript: light speed, Andromeda galaxy, dark matter and black holes
Download the transcript